Yes He Can? Bank Settlement Rally today at Bank of America in Newtown, PA Bucks County
All over the country Moveon.org had councils running rallies today (January 19, 2012) to show President Obama how seriously we take the Banking/Mortgage Crisis!
We ended up with 43 wonderfully dedicated supporters at the Rally in Bucks County. It was cold, but exciting!
This is the message that was delivered to the Philadelphia office of the Obama campaign office about the Pennsylvania signers to the online Petition-
Dear President Obama,
More than 13600 Pennsylvania residents and 358,477 people nationwide have signed a petition that says: “President
Obama: Hold Wall Street banks accountable by fully investigating the big bank fraud that caused the housing
We’re delivering these signatures today to urge you, President Obama, to stand up for the millions of Americans
hurt by Wall Street greed.
We’re counting on you.
Pennsylvania MoveOn members
We had petitions for people to sign at the event as well, and 23 attendees signed.
The camera got a big wild on this one, but you can see most of the people there, and great messages from Robin Stelly and Bob Mason!
Lynda Mintz talking about Foreclosures and the viewing party January 24 for the State of the Union
Robin Stelly submitted this great overview to the papers after the event!
Press Release For:
Thursday, January 19, 2012
Local Residents Hold Protest at Bank of America; Mark Anniversary of Citizens United Decision and Demand President Obama Stand Up to the Big Banks and Order a Federal Investigation
On Thursday, January 19, over 40 supporters of Penn Action and MoveOn.org rallied at the Bank of America in Newtown, PA to mark the one year anniversary of the Citizens United decision and demand that President Obama hold the big banks accountable for the foreclosure crisis by ordering a federal investigation opposing a sweetheart deal that would give them immunity from investigation.
Dozens of Bucks County residents held signs reminding passers by that “Corporations are Not People,” asking for the end of “Corporate Welfare” and demanding an investigation of the financial sector’s role in the country’s foreclosure crisis. “Corporations are not people. Corporations have used their status as people to use the amendments from the Bill of Rights to pursue their own selfish interests and this has got to stop,” said Bob Mason of Levittown. The event was part of a national day of action called “Yes He Can” taking place across the country at Obama for America (OFA) campaign offices in all 50 states and at local offices of some of the biggest banks. Participants called on President Obama to stand strong with the 99% and make sure the big banks are held accountable.
Our groups work together to bring awareness and progressive change for Bucks County!
Moveon.org Bucks County Council – Joan King and Sally Witt
Penn Action – Robin Stelly
BuxMont CFPA – Cathy Leary, Bill Deckert
National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare – Pedro A. Rodriguez
Sally K Witt
Social Media and Ministry
- 61,823 hits
- Twitter ALL STARS from #EmpireKred rock!! Twitter on Steroids. @Bluesbro @PacificCove @cshislop @GaryLoper @studentinlife 11 minutes ago
- Aquiziam is now following me on Twitter! Thank you for the follow - Always #followback #FamilyFriendly only twitter.com/aquiziam 22 minutes ago
- New story on NPR: After Brexit, Uncertainty Over Status Of EU Workers Living In U.K. ln.is/www.npr.org/se… 25 minutes ago
- Please help my nephew's twitter account grow! Thanks. He will #followback twitter.com/consultz4urbiz https://t.co/0Me0JMyysQ 26 minutes ago
- Get it in 60 is now following me on Twitter! Thank you for the follow - Always #followback #FamilyFriendly only twitter.com/GetItIn60 37 minutes ago
- Meet The Incredible Woman Who Changed The Face Of Rhythmic GymnasticsWendy Hilliard's gymnastics career began in the front yard of her childhood home, and took her all the way to the National Championships a record-setting nine times. But it was her fight for recognition as a black gymnast that ignited her passion for athlete advocacy and inspired her to start her own foundation. 126emFrey
- A Double Dose Of PeaceWe have a two-step relaxation exercise for you this month. If the actual art of paper folding feels intimidating to you, check out the August issue of Prevention magazine for Step One: your own tear-out, origami-inspired coloring page. Below, you’ll find Step Two: instructions for two of the modular forms in the new book Zen Origami, which puts a mindful twi […]emFrey
- 11 Ways To Eat An AvocadoThink guacamole is your only option? C'mon, you can do better than that. Here, 11 delicious and inventive ways to get more avocado in your life. 126emFrey
- 1 in 3 Americans Would Use Medical Marijuana. Are You One Of Them?Marijuana is steadily gaining traction as a legitimate treatment for everything from severe migraines to arthritis—so much so that a third of Americans would be extremely or very likely to use it to treat their pain if advised by a doctor, reveals a new Prevention survey. Among the other compelling findings of the survey, in which Prevention interviewed a na […]emFrey
- 5 Bedtime Beverages That Can Help You Lose WeightThere's not much worse than a night of tossing and turning in the sack. After all, poor sleep is intricately tied to weight gain, skewed hormone levels, next-day munchies, and blood sugar and insulin issues, says Bridget Murphy, RDN, CDN, at NYU Langone Medical Center. To score some quality shuteye, you've got to be careful about what you sip befor […]emitchell
- Color Yourself CalmA few colored pencils are all it takes to turn a plain page into your own Zen masterpiece. Check out the July issue of Prevention magazine for your own tear-out page, and look below to get inspired with completed versions of the seascape from Wales-based illustrator Anastasia Catris, (Instagram: @AnastasiaCatris). Illustration by anastasia cartris Full color […]emFrey
- Nourish Your Body Through MovementGive your movement-starved body the nutrients it needs with these gentle corrective exercises from biomechanist Katy Bowman. They target areas of the body that—in our culture of sitting, keyboarding work, and heeled shoes—are frequently undernourished. Add these moves to your day for a more balanced movement diet, and within a few weeks you should be able to […]emFrey
- "My Best Time Is Now"Model and wellness expert Maye Musk opens up about life, health, parenting three famous children, and having fun. Here, she sits down for an exclusive interview with Maria Rodale, chairman and chief executive officer of Rodale. [brightcove_audio:4924955970001] 126emFrey
- What It's Like To Wake Up From A Coma That No One Expected You To Recover FromDoctors were shocked when Lizzie Asher woke up from a 3-week-long coma. No one thought she would even survive, let alone make a full recovery. Watch her incredible story of thriving against all odds. 126emFrey
- The 100-Year-Old Athlete Who Proves That Anyone Can Run (Even You!)At 67, Ida Keeling ran her first competitive race. And that was just the beginning for the now 100-year-old record-setting runner. She and her daughter, Shelley, a 64-year-old track coach and fellow competitive athlete, prove that the physical and mental benefits of exercise are well worth the hard work. 126emFrey