Yes He Can? Bank Settlement Rally today at Bank of America in Newtown, PA Bucks County
All over the country Moveon.org had councils running rallies today (January 19, 2012) to show President Obama how seriously we take the Banking/Mortgage Crisis!
We ended up with 43 wonderfully dedicated supporters at the Rally in Bucks County. It was cold, but exciting!
This is the message that was delivered to the Philadelphia office of the Obama campaign office about the Pennsylvania signers to the online Petition-
Dear President Obama,
More than 13600 Pennsylvania residents and 358,477 people nationwide have signed a petition that says: “President
Obama: Hold Wall Street banks accountable by fully investigating the big bank fraud that caused the housing
We’re delivering these signatures today to urge you, President Obama, to stand up for the millions of Americans
hurt by Wall Street greed.
We’re counting on you.
Pennsylvania MoveOn members
We had petitions for people to sign at the event as well, and 23 attendees signed.
The camera got a big wild on this one, but you can see most of the people there, and great messages from Robin Stelly and Bob Mason!
Lynda Mintz talking about Foreclosures and the viewing party January 24 for the State of the Union
Robin Stelly submitted this great overview to the papers after the event!
Press Release For:
Thursday, January 19, 2012
Local Residents Hold Protest at Bank of America; Mark Anniversary of Citizens United Decision and Demand President Obama Stand Up to the Big Banks and Order a Federal Investigation
On Thursday, January 19, over 40 supporters of Penn Action and MoveOn.org rallied at the Bank of America in Newtown, PA to mark the one year anniversary of the Citizens United decision and demand that President Obama hold the big banks accountable for the foreclosure crisis by ordering a federal investigation opposing a sweetheart deal that would give them immunity from investigation.
Dozens of Bucks County residents held signs reminding passers by that “Corporations are Not People,” asking for the end of “Corporate Welfare” and demanding an investigation of the financial sector’s role in the country’s foreclosure crisis. “Corporations are not people. Corporations have used their status as people to use the amendments from the Bill of Rights to pursue their own selfish interests and this has got to stop,” said Bob Mason of Levittown. The event was part of a national day of action called “Yes He Can” taking place across the country at Obama for America (OFA) campaign offices in all 50 states and at local offices of some of the biggest banks. Participants called on President Obama to stand strong with the 99% and make sure the big banks are held accountable.
Our groups work together to bring awareness and progressive change for Bucks County!
Moveon.org Bucks County Council – Joan King and Sally Witt
Penn Action – Robin Stelly
BuxMont CFPA – Cathy Leary, Bill Deckert
National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare – Pedro A. Rodriguez
Sally K Witt
Social Media and Ministry
- 59,235 hits
- 1 dead after Ebola reappears in Liberia ln.is/weeder.org/UDo… #world #news 26 minutes ago
- Darkwave by Alex Noriega 500px.com/photo/10421897… http://t.co/wE3thv79ZU 39 minutes ago
- The Name Macintosh Was Inspired by an Apple with the name mcintosh. #technology #fact 54 minutes ago
- International schools team up with pop star for charity record ln.is/weeder.org/6mG… #music #arts 1 hour ago
- Autodesk Patent Filed For Multiple Colour And Material 3D Printer ln.is/weeder.org/Kdw… #entertainment #gaming #tech #gadgets 1 hour ago
- 9 Things No One Ever Tells You About Getting A Hip ReplacementA little over three months ago, I had a hip arthroplasty, otherwise known as a Total Hip Replacement, at age 42 (OK, it was a week before my 43rd birthday, but I'm sticking with 42). I know I'm not the youngest by far to get a THR, but I am indeed below the average age of 65+ for this orthopedic procedure. I needed it. My decrepit right hip basical […]emitchell
- The 8 Most Preventable Cancers—And How To Slash Your RiskCancer often hits like a bolt of lightning—totally unforeseen, seemingly random, chalked up to a bad genetic hand or other forces outside of our control. But at least a third of all cancer cases are actually preventable, according to the World Health Organization. And with an estimated 1,658,370 new cases expected to be diagnosed this year (not including bas […]szdanow
- How To Turn Off Your Weight Gain HormonesFrom the book The Hormone Reset Diet: Balance your Hormones and Lose up to 15 pounds in just 3 weeks! by Sara Gottfried. Copyright © 2015 by Sara Gottfried. Reprinted by permission of HarperOne, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers. Here's a mind-bender: Being overweight often has nothing to do with calories or exercise. For a huge number of us, the p […]mmessing
- Your Ultimate Anti-Aging Walking WorkoutWe've been putting one foot in front of the other for so long that it's easy to forget that walking is one of the most effective ways to look and feel 10 (or even 20!) years younger. "Just 30 to 45 minutes 5 days a week combats so many unwanted side effects of aging, including weight gain, a slow metabolism, diabetes, depression, high blood pr […]mmessing
- 8 Foods With A Big Weight Loss SecretIf you're new to the world of resistant starch, here's what you need to know: Resistant starch (or RS) is a type of carbohydrate that we can't digest, so it has no caloric value. But it's not just a one-trick pony: Research shows RS can also help us lose weight by decreasing hunger and fat storage while increasing fat burn. Plus, it may e […]mmessing
- What Your Favorite TV Show Says About Your PersonalityYou know what you like about your favorite show, whether it’s the plot twists, one-liners, or rich characters. But what does your show say about you? Recent research from Tip Tap Labs, a software company that applies psychological analysis to social media commentary, has found that our viewing habits say a lot about our personality. If you like Parks and Rec […]emFrey
- 25 Thoughts Everybody Has In Their First Yoga ClassYou walk into your very first yoga class with absolutely no idea what to expect. Lights are dimmed, soft music is playing, and there's a whole lot of spandex. Here's what's probably going through your head... 1. Yoga mat (check), towel (check), water (check). I got this! (I hope) 2. The music is so relaxing. I feel more Zen already. 3. Whoa, […]szdanow
- 11 Ways To Sleep Better TonightThe article 11 Ways to Improve Your Sleep Hygiene originally ran on RodaleNews.com and is adapted from The Exhaustion Breakthrough. While sleep needs vary, most adults require 7 to 9 hours per night. The best way to determine how much sleep you need is to do a little experiment: First, try to catch up on sleep for several nights on a weeklong vacation during […]emitchell
- The Unbelievable Reason You're Short On Vitamin DNutrition experts have been grumbling for years that the government got our vitamin D recommendations wrong. When the Institute of Medicine (IOM) guidelines of 600 IU a day were released in 2010, respected Harvard professor Walter Willett, MD, primary researcher behind the Mediterranean Diet, stated publicly that this wasn't enough—especially for people […]mmessing
- 10 Stuffed Avocado Recipes You're About To Start CravingAvocados: they’re not just for guacamole. Proof? These 10 delectable blogger recipes, all featuring avocados scooped and loaded with delicious fillings, perfect for lunch, dinner and everything in between.szdanow