Yes He Can? Bank Settlement Rally today at Bank of America in Newtown, PA Bucks County
All over the country Moveon.org had councils running rallies today (January 19, 2012) to show President Obama how seriously we take the Banking/Mortgage Crisis!
We ended up with 43 wonderfully dedicated supporters at the Rally in Bucks County. It was cold, but exciting!
This is the message that was delivered to the Philadelphia office of the Obama campaign office about the Pennsylvania signers to the online Petition-
Dear President Obama,
More than 13600 Pennsylvania residents and 358,477 people nationwide have signed a petition that says: “President
Obama: Hold Wall Street banks accountable by fully investigating the big bank fraud that caused the housing
We’re delivering these signatures today to urge you, President Obama, to stand up for the millions of Americans
hurt by Wall Street greed.
We’re counting on you.
Pennsylvania MoveOn members
We had petitions for people to sign at the event as well, and 23 attendees signed.
The camera got a big wild on this one, but you can see most of the people there, and great messages from Robin Stelly and Bob Mason!
Lynda Mintz talking about Foreclosures and the viewing party January 24 for the State of the Union
Robin Stelly submitted this great overview to the papers after the event!
Press Release For:
Thursday, January 19, 2012
Local Residents Hold Protest at Bank of America; Mark Anniversary of Citizens United Decision and Demand President Obama Stand Up to the Big Banks and Order a Federal Investigation
On Thursday, January 19, over 40 supporters of Penn Action and MoveOn.org rallied at the Bank of America in Newtown, PA to mark the one year anniversary of the Citizens United decision and demand that President Obama hold the big banks accountable for the foreclosure crisis by ordering a federal investigation opposing a sweetheart deal that would give them immunity from investigation.
Dozens of Bucks County residents held signs reminding passers by that “Corporations are Not People,” asking for the end of “Corporate Welfare” and demanding an investigation of the financial sector’s role in the country’s foreclosure crisis. “Corporations are not people. Corporations have used their status as people to use the amendments from the Bill of Rights to pursue their own selfish interests and this has got to stop,” said Bob Mason of Levittown. The event was part of a national day of action called “Yes He Can” taking place across the country at Obama for America (OFA) campaign offices in all 50 states and at local offices of some of the biggest banks. Participants called on President Obama to stand strong with the 99% and make sure the big banks are held accountable.
Our groups work together to bring awareness and progressive change for Bucks County!
Moveon.org Bucks County Council – Joan King and Sally Witt
Penn Action – Robin Stelly
BuxMont CFPA – Cathy Leary, Bill Deckert
National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare – Pedro A. Rodriguez
Sally K Witt
Social Media and Ministry
- 58,476 hits
- Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending. - Maria Robinson #quote 4 minutes ago
- @BestBetOnTheWeb --Thanks for the retweet!!-- 4 minutes ago
- @GoldschmPlaar --Thanks for the retweet!!-- 5 minutes ago
- @RikkiArundel --Thanks for the retweet!!-- 5 minutes ago
- @godsent247 --Thanks for the retweet!!-- 6 minutes ago
- Pesticides In Produce May Lower Sperm Count By HalfSarah KleinGuys, you may want to be a little bit pickier about your produce. A new study has found a link between pesticides in fruit and veggies and a lower sperm count. The research, published online in the journal Human Reproduction, showed that men who ate the most produce with high levels of pesticide residue had a 49% lower total sperm count and 32% fe […]szdanow
- 10 Brilliant Uses For Tea BagsFirst for Women Smart SolutionsWait! Don't just toss that soggy black tea bag. The folks at First For Women have uses for those bags you've never even considered. 1. Ward off an unsightly bruise Ouch! You banged your knee on the coffee table, and you just know it'll result in a nasty bruise. To minimize the mark, soak a black tea bag in water […]mmessing
- 8 Things To Never Do When You're Sleep DeprivedAviva PatzWhen there are anvils on your eyelids and still more hours of daylight to burn, it's tempting to try to kick yourself awake with caffeine or sneak in some extra zzz's. Thing is, many of the moves we commonly make to wipe away sleepiness will almost certainly backfire. "Our circadian rhythms, or sleep cycle, require consistency," […]mmessing
- 5 Surprising Foods That Can Help You Lose WeightJulia Westbrook for Rodalenews.comNothing against vegetables, lean protein, and healthy fats, but can't we get something new on the menu? We get it, avocados are amazing, and if you haven't loaded up on your leafy greens, you're doing it wrong. Fortunately, scientists keep discovering new foods to add to your diet to help you get healthy witho […]mmessing
- 6 Things Your Joint Pain Is Trying To Tell YouJessica MigalaWe're all probably a little too familiar with joint pain, but less so with the outlier conditions than can cause it (it's not always arthritis and osteoarthritis). Though many things can contribute to the ache, here are 6 to think about: You're having a reaction to your meds Meds may be designed to treat you, but certain ones, pa […]szdanow
- 4 Hair Supplements Beauty Insiders Swear ByEmily RekstisYou can pop a pill for pain, sleeplessness, even acne, but when it comes thinning hair and getting stronger, thicker, longer hair, it's a little less clear which supplements work and which are a total waste of time. The only way to know for sure is to try them yourself—or talk to people who already have. We got the scoop from top stylists o […]emitchell
- What It's Like To Be Diagnosed With Alzheimer's At Age 59Sarah KleinJournalist Greg O'Brien was just 59 when he was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's, the same disease that killed his maternal grandfather and mother. In his memoir, On Pluto: Inside the Mind of Alzheimer's, O'Brien chronicles what it feels like to slowly lose his memory. Since the book was published in September 2014, he ha […]mmessing
- Tone Your Butt Without Doing A Single Squat Or LungeChris FreytagSquats and lunges are two exercises that work their way into almost every butt workout. Perhaps you're just sick of doing squats, or maybe they bother your knees—no matter the reason, we're guessing it's time for a much-needed break. This workout is designed to tighten and tone your backside without any form of a squat or lunge. N […]mmessing
- 10 Exercises That Burn More Calories Than RunningAmanda MacMillian for Menshealth.comWe're huge fans of running. It allows you to get a stress-reducing, endurance-boosting workout with just a pair of shoes and an open road. It also burns calories, of course. At a 10-minute per mile pace, you'll fry about 10 calories a minute. That's a solid number, and if you run faster, you can burn even m […]szdanow
- The Happiest Way To Live 7.5 Years LongerHere's some positive news for a change: The older you get, the happier you'll feel. Need convincing? Check out this impressive list of benefits that come with every extra birthday candle from the folks at Happify.com. Happify is both a website and mobile app geared towards improving people’s emotional well-being through scientifically-proven activi […]mmessing