Getting to know people and making friends online with Social Media
I am naturally a friendly person. I have always had a lot of friends.
You have to be a bit cautious online when trusting a new person, but you can certainly meet wonderful people.
The best way to meet people is on sites where you have something in common. Groups are pretty good at rooting out phony people!
I am in a number of great groups on Facebook, Empire Avenue, and ning sites like Brandergy.com. I love meeting people on IBOToolbox.com, too!
I believe when you connect with people on a number of sites, you get to know them better.
Sometimes you really connect with someone and become friends. That is special.
I find groups that are supportive in business, online projects, blogging, mental health, therapeutic, and more. I have a lot of health issues, and it is nice to know people that are dealing with similar things in their lives.
I know a lot of people use online sites for dating and romance. I am really glad that I am out of that category, because I think that it is a little scary.
When someone contacts me on skype or Facebook chat that I don’t know, I kind of test them out a bit. Sometimes they have no knowledge of the place that they say they live – HUGE red flag!!
You can make really good lasting friendships online. I have a small groups of women on a group on Sparkpeople.com. We share so much, and I have been with them for something like 7 years. Those are true friends.
If you are a young girl or boy, make sure your parents know who you are chatting with online!
For adults, be friendly, but keep your safety conscious part of your brain active, too!
Remember, if something smells off it probably is.
Other than that, make friends and have fun!
- 63,445 hits
- Top story: shocking photos 0f tiffany trump going viral doesn't want you to see ln.is/skkor123gmailc…, see more tweetedtimes.com/sallykwitt?s=t… 40 minutes ago
- Top story: Carl Bernstein drops mic on ex-Trump aide: ‘He has lied as no presid… ln.is/www.rawstory.c…, see more tweetedtimes.com/twitsnationPOL… 55 minutes ago
- Freedom Zone thanks for following me on Twitter! I always #followback --#FamilyFriendly} only twitter.com/_FreedomZone_ 1 hour ago
- Block Hearing Protection Act: @NRA-backed gun industry giveaway that would make people less safe. ln.is/act.credoactio… via @CREDOMobile 2 hours ago
- RT @EmpireKred: The kittens invaded #YowzaRama! Save with YowzaDeals & 20% will help save kittens. Think they'll help hunt Yowzas? https:/… 2 hours ago
- If You Want A Stronger Relationship, You Need To Make Time For These 6 Things Every WeekAll of your relationship problems cannot be solved by reading a book, attending a weekend workshop, or enrolling in couples therapy. With that said, learning what distinguishes happy couples from unhappy ones can change the course of how you and your partner love each other. The seemingly insignificant shifts in the trajectory of your relationship can have a […]emFrey
- 5 Habits That Are Keeping You From Losing Those Last 10 PoundsNothing's easy when it comes to weight loss. But dropping those last 10 pounds can be extra difficult. Why is that? "As you lose weight, and especially if you've lost a significant amount, your metabolism slows down," says Dana Hunnes, PhD, RD, an adjunct assistant professor and senior dietician at UCLA's Fielding School of Public He […]emFrey
- 12 Things Dermatologists Who’ve Had Skin Cancer Want You To KnowTo say skin cancer is one of the most common forms of cancer is an understatement: Each year, there are more new cases—over 5.4 million cases of nonmelanoma skin cancers alone—than the combined incidence of breast, prostate, lung, and colon cancer. (Watch for these 5 signs of skin cancer other than a new mole.) So it’s not surprising that even dermatologists […]emFrey
- 7 Surprising Reasons Marriages Fail That No One Talks About According to recent University of Maryland divorce research, you've got about a 50/50 chance of growing old with your spouse. While that stat may not shock you, the reasons many couples decide to separate may. "People assume that most marriages fail because of big bombs—cheating, financial mismanagement, addiction, dishonesty," says Jessica El […]emFrey
- 6 Pairs Of Slimming Underwear That Aren't UglyIsn't it strange that in order to look your best in a dress or slim pants you first have to put on something that's drab and dowdy? While control-top undergarments are an essential part of most women's lingerie wardrobe, it's hard not to feel like your grandma while wearing them. The solution: A new breed of slimming underwear that's […]Leah Polakoff
- 15 Twists On Your Boring Bag Of Popcorn That You Have To TryPopcorn is that magical snack that's both ridiculously addictive and also impressively healthy. With its fiber, whole grains, and antioxidants, you can feel pretty darn good about helping yourself to handful after handful. Of the air-popped variety, at least. Sadly, the movie theater version that's drizzled with butter (or in some cases, an uniden […]Leah Polakoff
- I Tried Eating 6 Meals A Day, And Here's What HappenedI grew up with a less is more mentality, as in the less often you eat, the less you'll weigh. As a body-conscious teenager, that translated into me ignoring my hunger pangs until well past lunchtime. When I finally caved to the call of my angry stomach, I'd end up practically shoveling food into my mouth. I may have been eating only one meal a day, […]Leah Polakoff
- 8 Risk-Free Hair Tinting Products You Should TryMaybe you haven't spotted a single gray yet (lucky you!) or maybe you don't want to spend a painful amount of money for professional color. That doesn't mean you can't change up your hair color if you're itching to update your look. Thanks to at-home tinting products—which come in various forms ranging from shampoos to mousses—you ca […]Leah Polakoff
- I Tried Gwyneth Paltrow’s 'Clean Sleeping' Regimen, And This Is What HappenedFirst of all, I'm not a Gwyneth hater. I loved her in Sliding Doors and Shakespeare in Love. But I'm not exactly a die-hard fan, either. I don't often read her website, Goop, and I've never tried any of her out-there suggestions like vaginal steaming. But when I found out that Goop: Clean Beauty, the new book by the editors of her site, h […]Leah Polakoff
- This Crazy-Easy Hack Can Help You Avoid Overeating And Lose WeightChances are, you've heard a thing or two about mindful eating as a strategy for weight loss. As a concept, it sounds pretty great. But practicing it in real life isn't always easy. Listening to your body to figure out how hungry or satisfied you are certainly seems more pleasant than counting calories or weighing and measuring your food. It can be […]Leah Polakoff